Thursday, July 7, 2011

One fatal second...

Before you begin to read what I have to say, answer these few questions.
1. Have you ever drank alcohol?
2. Have you ever rode in a vehicle after the driver has been drinking or taken drugs?
3. Have you ever operated a vehicle after drinking or taking drugs?
4. Do you know anyone who has been killed by a drunk driver, or someone who has killed someone by drinking and driving?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions...remember...one second can end up being the last second you or another will have.

         October 2nd, 2010 I decided to get into a vehicle after consuming over fifteen beers and several shots of tequila. I was new in town, so I decided to show up the boys who THOUGHT they knew how to drink.  I was a female, and most females feel as if they need to prove they can drink a man under the table.  Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?  Females have a higher water content in their body, so it is a proven fact that females get intoxicated faster and stay intoxicated longer than males.  Point is, male or female, trying to out drink someone is really ignorant.  The more you drink, the less your mind is able to make decisions that you'll stand by in the morning.
         After I got in the vehicle, my memory started to fade.  I don't remember driving, I don't remember dropping a friend off, I don't remember the road I was even on.  I think back and all I can see is the blue lights in my rear view mirror.  There was no denying I was drunk.  I was instantly asked to step outside of the vehicle.  I did the sobriety tests and failed them drastically...blowing a .16 on my blood alcohol test.  The cop asked me to turn around and handcuffed me.  I was then put into the back of the cop car and taken to jail.  I was arrested for a Driving Under the Influence, Driving Under Suspension, Open Container, and Minor Possession of Alcohol.  My jail experience is beyond all doubt, the scariest thing I have ever been through.  I was put in shackles, handcuffs, and put into a holding cell with a couple girls and several cat-calling males.  I remember sitting there in that dull, cement room.  Looking around I saw people who looked like they belonged there, people who had smiles on their faces, people who without a doubt were criminals... all I knew was that was not the place I belonged.

         I was court ordered to do a lot for my DUI.  I had to commit to fifty hours of community service, attend a class for two months about alcohol and drug abuse, take a class about safe drivers, and visit a prison.  In my prison tour, I was in a group of about twenty girls. We had to hold hands with another girl and walk in a straight line.  We were in the inmates home.  No bars, no windows, no fence in between these prisoners.  Our tour guides were four female inmates that had been locked up for sixteen years.  Those four shared their stories with us.  I was not only the youngest in my group, but the only one with a DUI.  Out of the four, two of the inmates made sure to present their stories straight towards me...for driving under the influence was the very reason they were wearing that tan uniform with a printed reminder reading "inmate".   One of them was arrested at 19.  She was very similar to the person I was back then... a partier that always said, "Oh, I drive better drunk."  She said that until she killed a three month old child by drinking a driving.  The second woman was someone who still sends chills down my spine to this day.  She told me that she was never a heavy drinker, that she had maybe been to three bars in her entire life.  One day she had a couple beers and remembered she had to pick up a few things at the store.  She then began to tell us that she wrecked and killed two children... an eight and two year old. As she paused, she continued to tell us that those two kids were her very own children inside her vehicle.  She then put in my hands, pictures of her two children and of the vehicle after the wreck.  That was the day that I realized I never will step foot in a vehicle after drinking or if the driver has been drinking.

         The one thing I did, that wasn't court ordered, was grow as a person and learn to appreciate getting a DUI. During my process, I was living with my mother and my grandparents.  My entire family drinks. Whether it's all day, a couple drinks a day, three times a week... my family drinks.  My point in saying this is, it's not easy to quit when you're surrounded by drunks.  It either makes you want to drink again or it makes you want to enforce them to quit.  As tough as it got to get my point across sometimes, eventually my family supported me in my decision to quit.  I have alcoholics on both my mother's and father's side of the family.  I'm very prone to becoming a serious alcoholic. But learning from my mistakes in the past and seeing what condition I would be in if I kept drinking, makes drinking never an option.

         Today, I'm a different person.  Ten months ago I was a partier.  I was the girl who wanted all the attention at a get-together.  I was someone who drank until I couldn't or until I did something stupid.  Today I'm the girl who stays sober.  I'm the girl who can go to a party and not think twice about picking up any drink of alcohol.  I will ALWAYS be the girl who knows that every decision I make is under a strong sober mind.  My process to this life was the hardest but the most rewarding experience I've gone through.  I know a lot of people who read this may never understand what it's like to not drink, to go through and see the things I saw, or to eliminate the only way they can feel accepted.  A party life will never be a successful life.  An alcoholic is nothing but a failure to life.  To pick up alcohol and let it fade the image of the beautiful chance of life we are all given, is to let go of control on the only chance you're given. 

                           From a sober mind,
                                Amanda Rae
                         

4 comments:

  1. This is powerful and I am so very proud of YOU and the strong-willed, determined woman you have become!!! I love you!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case you weren't already sure, you are absolutely amazing Amanda. :]
    -AmbyrGee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sure is some tale you told.

    As a former heavy partier, I myself have driven under influences... and even once drunk and suffering from a concussion. How I ever made it home and not killed myself or anyone else is beyond me? And this went on for nearly a decade!

    But in the end, for both you and I, is that we learned from our mistake(s).

    I just woke up one day and said no more of this foolishness. Sure I still like a drink or two but never to the point of getting a buzz and never will I get behind the wheel after doing so.

    It would be nice if more people would learn from their mistakes... hell, even better if they just didn't do it period.

    I was in a serious car accident years ago which was caused by two other drivers both of whom were doing very bad things behind the wheel. The one was totally impaired and I learned through the courts that this was his third impaired charge and second time causing bodily harm. I was the only one who walked away. He went to jail. The other driver went to the hospital and her story was beyond belief in itself. She was a "Stripper-Gram Girl". She left one call, was on her way to another, and as she roared down the freeway, with the cruise control locked on, she was trying to get changed from one outfit to another. We just had a good dumping of snow less than 12 hours ago and the roads were still very slushy and iced up. The drunk guy hit her, she went up on the median and flipped her truck which slid down the road upside down and rammed into the back of my car. The drunk guy spun around a number of times and hit me on the passenger side. I was sitting at a stoplight waiting for the green to go. Funny thing is that it turned amber and I decided to stop and not run through just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories like these are the ones that make my decision something to never regret. I truthfully respect your feedback.

    And as you said, there is no problem with having a drink here and there... but making sure you don't drive under the influence is something you always should arrange before you begin drinking. As your story proves, it doesn't always hurt just you, but hurts others as well.

    Once again, thank you! I'm happy we're BOTH on the track to better lives.

    ReplyDelete